Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic, you disappoint me.

In response to this shirt, I wrote the following letter:

Hello,

I am a frequent customer of Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy. I have enjoyed buying clothes for my entire family, including my husband and my two boys. I also often buy clothing from your brands as gifts for friends and their children. I have always thought that Gap. Inc. brands were a good fit for my family, due to varying price points and selections. However, when shopping online recently for my two young boys, I was extremely disappointed to see shirts for infants and toddler boys that promote materialism and misogyny. I enjoy reading witty sayings on shirts and have bought a few from Old Navy and Gap that state such things as, "100% Love", "My Dad is the Man", and "I Love Mommy", as well as other funny and sweet shirts that are positive and uplifting. In fact, your current "Leo's Artwork Graphic T" is exactly something I would buy for my boys. However, to see shirts that state, "I Love Mom, She's Got the $", "Ladies Man" and the most offensive, "Lock Up Your
Daughters", I am incredibly disappointed and disheartened.

I realize that popular culture is awash with graphic t-shirts, but to promote such blatant misogyny as "Lock Up Your Daughters" is irresponsible and pandering to
the lowest common denominator. I see that this specific shirt is sold out, so I realize that my words may mean nothing against the financial gain your brand enjoys from this item, but I hope that you read this letter and it gives someone pause, and that you examine the impact of that shirt on our youth. From the perspective of a mother of boys, I am overwhelmed by how difficult it is to fight the message that our society sends that success in malehood is tied to sexual prowess, whether it is explained away as simply intended to announce that the boy wearing such shirt is attractive to girls, or to admit that there is an undercurrent of sexuality in the shirt's saying that implies many things. First, it reinforces the idea that boys are predators. In order to "save" your daughter from my son, it is necessary to lock her away. Second, that the "daughters" are incapable of making mature decisions, and instead, are treated as incapable chattel that need locking up in order to protect their chastity. There are so
many levels of offensiveness to this saying that I could continue to list implications, but I think my point is clear.

It is my hope that instead of writing me off as a radical mother, you see me as a concerned parent who represents many other mothers and fathers that are becoming more and more aware of the state of our culture and determined to change the course of this generation.

Sadly, while you continue to manufacture, market and sell shirts that carry offensive sayings such as "Lock Up Your Daughters", I am unable to patronize any of your brands. Again, I know that my contribution to your bottom line may not mean much in your yearly data, but I am spreading the word to as many mothers and fathers I know that also express disappointment and discouragement at cultural phenomena such as your shirt represents, and I hope that they will do the same.

Sincerely,
Me


It is frustrating to know that my chances of being heard are slim, but it's what I can do. If anyone has any activist suggestions for how to be heard, feel free to let me know!

1 comments:

Constant Dreamer said...

Wha a sad state of affairs. Beautiful letter.