Monday, September 17, 2007

ADD

So, The H was diagnosed with ADD about six weeks ago, and started taking Strattera for his symptoms. I noticed an improvement almost immediately, and after a week, he was an absolutely delightful person to be with! He's been attentive and interested, listens to me, hears the boys, and does little things like make eye contact throughout an entire sentence. I had no idea how much I missed those things until I didn't have them for so long. Well, the insurance company has decided to deny coverage for the medication, since they want him to take Ritalin first. Our doctor refuses to even subject The H to trying it, so that's out, and the insurance is being really stubborn. The H started looking for some natural alternatives, and found an herbal blend of things like mushroom and some enzymes that have a completely hyped-up website that fear-mongers one into getting off prescription medication.

The deal we came to, with our marriage counselor mediating, is that he will be trying the herbal blend for a week, without any Strattera, and then, if I look at him and say, "Nope. It's not working," he will, without complaint or arguing, get back on Strattera. I'm all for natural solutions, and I think it would be wonderful had this stuff worked. However, we're on day three, and his eyeballs are about to flit out of his head. Sir H is back to having to ask fifteen times for something before Daddy hears him, and when I point these things out, he gets defensive and rude like he used to before he was on Strattera. So, I'm over this crappy herbal blend that doesn't do a damn thing, and four more days to go. Pray that we make it.

3 comments:

Mama Sarita said...

good luck, that sounds really hard.

Hopefully the H will see how much better he feels with the ADHD under control.

The Leader Of This Crazy Clan said...

Praying for a quick 4 days!! What an observant Dx!

Danielle said...

Thanks so much! It means a lot to know there are people thinking of us. He's doing okay, we're hanging in there, but he did get a comment at work about being disengaged. So, gritting my teeth until Saturday. :/