Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Priorities

It's funny how they change as you grow and have kids. Our anniversary was on Saturday, which was also the day of The Bear's first birthday party. I don't think I even mentioned it on here. I rolled out of bed at about 10 am, since The Huz was home, and started to get ready for the party. The Huz said, "Happy anniversary!" and I grunted back at him (hey, gimme a break, I hadn't had my morning caffeine yet!). That night, we were both lying in our bed with Sir H as he went to sleep, and were all three cuddled up together, Sir H in the middle. He fell asleep, and both The Huz and I were so tired we just lay there for a few minutes. He said, "So, when are we going to dinner?" I said, "For what?" He responded, "For our anniversary," and I just shrugged. We both cracked up, that it was just one of those things.

I cherish that I married a man who will lie in bed with me at 8 pm with our big boy and will gaze at him in wonder, and we both revel in the beauty and joy that our boys bring us. In the moments where I may spend a moment feeling nostalgic about my life before marriage and children, I have an unbidden flash of a moment like last night. The Bear was in bed with us, he starts out in his crib and still wakes to nurse a few times, so he ends up in our bed halfway through the night. Sir H had also woken and crawled into bed with us, and at some point, The Huz and I were both awake, and he reached over in our sleepy fogginess and just put his hand on my shoulder and smiled. Joy. Bliss.

0 comments: