Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Perfect Bear

So, off I went googling the other night, because of some quirks I noticed about The Bear, some things he needs in order to fall asleep. Little did I know that I would stumble upon a checklist that includes many of his behaviors that may indicate proprioceptive sensory issues. I'll blog later about the details, because I really need to go nap while he's sleeping, but suffice it to say that I'm absolutely terrified. I know there's nothing I can do to control the situation, but since I deal with a teeny anxiety disorder myself, not knowing and being able to predict the outcome brings out all my bad habits.

I spoke with a very helpful and knowledgeable occupational therapist yesterday, and after answering questions and discussing his behaviors for about fifteen minutes, she said that she would recommend an evaluation, just to see if there's anything there that can be helped with changes in behavior, modifications, etc. We're waiting for the occupational therapy center to call us back to set an appointment. I'm on pins and needles.

I don't know that any mom wants less for their child than to be the absolute shining star that he is. My biggest fear is that if there is something that would cause The Bear to manifest behavior that is outside the societal acceptance of normal, that people won't see how wonderful and beautiful and perfect he is. Life is hard enough, it breaks my heart to think that he may face struggles in addition to those that life will present on its own. More later, my brain is exhausted from worrying.

0 comments: