Sunday, January 31, 2010

These Things Just Happen

Late last week, the Three Things and I made a trip to the WalMart (argh!) after picking up the H-Man from kindergarten. We walked in and I saw a table set up with a group I recognized from a few previous encounters. This is what I know about them: they sell wooden crosses and they have some organization for youth and they are Christians and they are aggressive and they REALLY want you to buy their crosses and they make LOTS of notes in a blue binder as they interact with people. So, I was predisposed to walk quickly but politely past them, not particularly interested in being harangued and noted in The Blue Binder OF DOOOOOOM!

Of course, the crowds parted as we walked by, and the three munchkins wanted to touch and see and HI HOW ARE YOU?! and I'm gritting my teeth and pulling them into the store while trying to stay polite and calm, and yes, we are the only people around. So, the whole time, I'm chatting with my guys, just visiting with them, since I had just picked up the H-Dawg and holding the little dude, since he's 13 months and too wee to walk in the parking lot, and we're just hanging and having a good time. So, playing, playing, talking, chatting and playing and ZOMG AVOIDING THE SOLICITORS!, we didn't slip the trap, and start talking to the women. They turned out to be remarkably nice and kind. There were two of them, and one in particular began complimenting me on what wonderful parenting I was doing with the boys. She remarked about how many families they see entering and exiting the store, and how loving and kind I was with the little guys. I was really taken aback, and to be completely honest, a little suspicious that they were just buttering me up to try to get me to buy or donate, but I was flattered and really touched no matter the motive.

I told her how much her words meant to me, and she said, with complete conviction and honesty, "I can just tell how much you love your kids. They are really blessed to have you." Tears sprang to my eyes and I thanked her again for her kindness and her words of encouragement and apologized for not having any cash to give to their cause, and made my way into the store. We got our cart, taking a moment to settle six hands and feet into their proper and safe positions, when I sensed a flurry of activity behind me. The second woman who had been tending the table rushed up to me, obviously making sure to catch me before I headed off, and handed me a small, simple and beautifully dark stained cross. She said, "We just wanted you to have this. Thank you so much for being such an inspiration."

You could have knocked me over with a feather. I seriously cried.

Over the last 5 days or so, since this happened, this cross that was a symbol of my attitude of avoidance and negativity being turned into a blessing has been appearing in the hands of my children at random times, almost exactly at moments when I need an uplift. Suddenly, I will have Thing 2 appear with this little cross in his hands and he'll say, "Here, Mommy. Here's your cwoss. You weft it on da couch." Or Sir H will zip by and veritably toss it at me with a "Hey, you left this on the island Mom! I know it's your special!"

So, you tell me. What is it about life that makes these things happen? Just at the right moment.